13 Reasons to Acknowledge Kerala: BuzzFeed
News and entertainment site BuzzFeed India, a big hit with youngsters, has put together a post highlighting Kerala’s achievements in various human development and social sectors. Titled 13 Reasons We All Need To Acknowledge That Kerala Is Killin’ It Right Now, it was compiled by BuzzFeed India Contributor Imaan Sheikh, a Pakistani based in Dubai. The post is trending on the site with over 170,000 views.
Here are the 13 reasons why BuzzFeed thinks Kerala needs a pat on the back:
1. It just became the first Indian state to achieve 100% primary education.
2. The population growth rate has been the lowest among all Indian states over the last decade.
3. And the life expectancy is the highest.
4. It was declared the world’s first “Baby-friendly state” by WHO and UNICEF for its efforts to encourage and support breastfeeding.
5. In November 2015, the Kerala government became the country’s first state to announce a transgender policy.
The goal of the policy is to provide a platform to 25,000 transgender folk of the state, to voice their demand for “equality, dignity, development and expression”.
6. And recently announced setting up an actual separate court of justice for its transgender community.
7. Last year, Kerala set a record for reduced alcohol consumption.
Hey, whether or not you think drinking less is progress, it was still an example of effective government policy. In just 18 months, alcohol consumption dropped 20.27%.
8. The highest daily wage earners in non-public, urban jobs are women.
9. It was declared a “complete digital state” last year.
“The state has achieved 100 percent mobile density, 75 percent e-literacy, highest digital banking rate and broadband connection up to panchayat level,” Kerala’s CM Oomen Chandy said.
10. Couples wanting to adopt children exceed the number of children in adoption centres in the state.
11. And even though the female-to-male sex ratio is the highest in India…
12. Contrary to India’s age-old bias toward sons, most adopting couples in Kerala seek girl children.
13. And, of course, it remains the one of the most beautiful tourist attractions in the world.
Imaan tweeted the link to the post with the comment – So impressed. Kerala’s done some v cool stuff
— Imaan Sheikh (@SheikhImaan) January 14, 2016
Shashi tharoor retweeted it with the comment – A Kerala publicist’s dream article! Richly deserved
(Cover picture courtesy: roughguides)